Wednesday, March 25, 2009
So ever since the last time I posted, I've been up to a lot of things. I've received my Year One results, dropped by a class chalet, went to a concert, caught up with some secondary school friends, watched Marley & Me, Slumdog Millionaire, French movies on Okto, gymmed, baked, celebrated spectacular Liverpool victories and visited Sentosa.For this Mar/Apr school break, I've not been able to let my hair down because I'm taking a vacation-term CDS (cross-disciplinary subject) at school. It's called Global Citizenship. And apart from one-week long lectures and tutorials, there is a study trip to Beijing and Tianjin which required a huge amount of planning. Well the teachers did most of the planning, but we students were also kept busy preparing for a project presentation and our individual reflection reports. That said, I'm off to China from 29Mar-4Apr.
Yesterday while I was at Sentosa with Marianne, we took the skylift and luge. I spotted a few exotic birds nesting in the trees on the way up. As for the luge, I think I got more kicks out of the one in NZ. Then I conveniently decided to check out the Tourism Academy campus. I used my free access card for entry into Sentosa for the first time. (: Having worked at Sentosa before, Marianne doubled up as my tour guide.
Once there, we immediately got bitten by mosquitoes. We passed by the password-encrypted toilet. Haha. There's a heights element obstacle course in some part of the campus. And although the drinks vending machines in every other part of Sentosa are way overpriced, thank god the one inside the campus isn't.
Seeing as it's school break, I don't think I bumped into any student. But I saw the cleaning uncle and aunty sitting at the canteen, the chef returning to his office, a couple of tourists lingering around, and possibly some teachers walking by every now and then. We didn't wander long because we were feeling warm, sticky and itchy.
Then on 5th March, I saw this guy perform live in Singapore for the second time:
J began by getting us hyped up on Dynamo of Volition, then in no particular order, Geek in the Pink, You and I Both, Lucky (with Joi Chua), Sleeping To Dream, Make It Mine, No Stopping Us, A Beautiful Mess, Who Needs Shelter, Live High, I'm Yours, and The Remedy.
Towards the end, J played my favourite Mr. Curiosity opera style! (Y) Most people around me had already mellowed from exhaustion but I was really pumped. That was the only song in which he didn't play any instrument and was simply standing there grabbing the mic stand, singing his heart out. I'd watched a similar performance by him on Youtube but it still had that same amazing effect on me when I heard it. His high notes reverberated throughout the stadium, simply sensational. It took my breath away.
At the end of the last song, The Remedy, everyone chanted for an encore. Sadly but understandably, they didn't accede to that request.
Other thoughts:
1) If anyone from Sistic comes across this, hi! Next time allocate free standing please. Seats are redundant for a Jason Mraz live performance. Thank you!
2) They should have put up a Jason Mraz backdrop for him to perform against instead of the bare curtains.
3) Merch vendors, shirts at S$45ea? Too expensive.
4) Damn you, camera. (I was very mad that my photos wouldn't show up well in those poor lighting conditions, and in a fit of anger, got very determined to take up lessons on photography.)
5) If I were closer, I may have caught one of J's polaroids (it's a norm for him to snap instant photos of himself and his band and throw them into the audience).
5:48 pm