Friday, December 01, 2006
Yowza. OBS was super fun lah. I would have regretted if I didn't go. Did a very long compo-length reflection about the 5 days. I bet that put you off already huh? Haha. But that's in my LJ anyway. Find me online if you wanna read that one. To start with, Brina, Elsa, Jeslyn, Elo, Charlene, Chi Theng, Gen, Geok Ying, Carmen, Xuanya, Michelle, Jaime and Yunying made up Tenzing.
Basically 1st day was slack. Ice breakers, packing of food and store equipment, basics of kayaking. Halfway disrupted by thunderstorm. Sat under the shelter next to the kayak racks learning how to tie knots and had a look inside the yellow medic bag. I love kayaking man! Was afraid that we wouldn't have any more chances to kayak the next few days. At night did outdoor cooking and slept outside. Couldn't pitch tents cos it was still raining heavily. Yong Kang was our trainer and throughout the camp, he called us princess in this sweet singsong voice.
2nd day. Set off on a short walk to the other campsite. The one that looks like a chalet with all the height elements also. Took us 101 steps to reach the other camp's boundary - I actually bothered to count. Did trust fall and belaying, then the high high rope elements tower. Yong Kang said can see Singapore from the top. Wth. Ate food served at the canteen for dinner. Not bad. At night shared a tent with Elsa, Jeslyn and Elo. The 3E tent. Haha.
3rd day. Land expedition. Embarked on 'Amazing Ubin' which is actually a form of The Amazing Race. The checkpoints were our pitstops and there was a roadblock where a pebble toss game would be played. There were a few fastforwards which entitled us to skip some checkpoints if found. Things like "8 rubber seeds" and "5 golden web spiders" are examples. I found most of the rubber seeds yay. Then change of plans. Yong Kang gave us the option of racing to the roadblock - our finishing line to win the Race, or visiting the lemon aunty. We chose the latter. We were all dying from carrying the haversacks and tents etc. and would gladly like to see a new face and place instead of just jungle terrain. So Tenzing chose to give up the race but get to see more and have a richer experience by visiting the farm. Aunty's curry and lemongrass plants were damn fragrant lah! My antidrugs.
Then went to quarry where Hillary and Nila Utama - the other STC watches, already were. Passed by a buddhist temple where a monk let me carry his adorable puppy for a while! Did quarry jump and captain's ball in the water. Tenzing won! Set up camp a short distance away. Outdoor cooking again. I was like some maggie mee chef. Love cooking man. I was asking them whether there were some more packets of maggie to cook but they all thought I meant there was still some more maggie in the pot. So everyone stuck out their mess tins together all at the same time. So funny lah. Like some tribe rushing to get food lor. After that had to prepare for sea expedition the next day. Peed in the bushes before sleeping that night.
4th day. SeaEx!!! Was looking forward to it ever since I discovered my love for kayaking on the first day! But I missed Liling my kayaking partner. :/ Ended up kayaking with Chi. Was really damn fun despite getting so exasperated with her and we were sort of at loggerheads with each other the whole time. But at least we tried working together and a lot of lessons were learnt from it. Endurance, tolerance, cooperation and determination, to name a few. Being the navigator, I reached the shore first. Everyone had to wash the kayaks and stuff. Yong Kang was being retardedly funny with his "YAY I LOVE KAYAK! I WANT MORE KAYAKS!" in a very childish tone and he purposely sprayed us with the water hose so people would want to grab more kayaks to be hosed with the clean refreshing water again and again. Good ploy man. Shower and outdoor cooking. At night, pitched tents at the jetty area - same area where we camped out at SparkC. Stayed up the whole night chatting with Jeslyn, Elsa and Annabelle. Elo was fast asleep in our tent. Slept for 2 uncomfortable hours.
5th day. Mainly packing, then homeward bound! Glad or sad, I don't know. Maybe a little bit of both. Tenzing was like, hmm...would have been more fun if we were more united I guess. Very sad cos I think Yong Kang was quite disappointed but he didn't say? Hurts all the more. And like what lin says, the trainers get to impact our lives but we don't get to impact theirs as much. I think it's damn sad. He played a huge role in making our OBS journey a fun and enjoyable one. But you know what, no one even bothered to get his contact. No one bothered to find out more about him. I want to meet him again. And say sorry. And for once sit down and have a proper chat as a watch. Is it too late?

----------
Towned with Adel and Nic yesterday. Went to watch Open Season. It's something like Over The Hedge except OTH was way nicer. Nic wanted to watch cos the hunter in the movie is voiced by George from Of Mice and Men. I didn't like the movie but I want Tinkerman! Oh yeah. We bought our Westlife Live At Wembley DVDs. Thanks to Paul (the cine Sembawang guy) for reserving and thanks for asking him to reserve, Adel! :D They were the last 3 copies apparently. I still want Gareth Gates' debut album! Didn't get it yet cos the price still hasn't gone down!
12:08 am